Knowledge: List 5 facts you learnt from the text.
- The first person to walk on the Moon was Neil Armstrong in 20 July 1967.
- The surface on Venus is 187c.
- Scientist think that there might be water under ground on Mars.
- Mars is so far away that it will take messages four minutes and twenty seconds to reach us.
- Venus air pressure could crush a human body.
Comprehension Why do spacecraft go to Mars and not Venus? What are the problems with sending people to Mars?
Spacecrafts go to Mars because the pressure on Venus could crush them. The surface on Venus is 187C hot enough to melt lead. Mars is one of the planets that people can survive on. At night the temperature seldom reaches 5 c. On Mars dust storms can last for months.
Application Choose four specialist words from the text and find their definition.
- Spacecraft means a vehicle used for travelling in space.
- Astronauts means a person who is trained to travel in a spacecraft.
- Oxygen means a colourless, odourless reactive gas, the chemical element of atomic number 8 and the life-supporting component of the air.
- Temperature means the degree or intensity of heat present in a substance or object, especially as expressed according to a comparative scale and shown by a thermometer or perceived by touch.
Analysis Would you like to go on a trip to Mars? Why, or why not?
A reason why I don't want to go to Mars is because of the dust storms and how cold it gets at night. I can't breath oxygen. A reason why I do want to go to Mars I'll be the first kid that went to Mars. I get to experience a different planet. A might get to prove that there was life on Mars.
Synthesis- New Ideas Create a poster/infographic/google drawing about what you have read to put up in the classroom. Include information you have learnt from the text.